Wednesday, April 16, 2008

PF Chang's (3 forks/$16pp)

I am coming down with a cold and feeling antisocial today. Ah ha! An opportunity to blog about P.F. Chang's wonton soup! P.F. Chang's is the one place everyone seems to like. I usually go with large groups and share dishes - my favorite way to dine. I am usually so thrilled at the prospect of eating the Orange Peel Shrimp with the perfect Brown Rice, that I have trouble looking at anything else. But today was all about soup.

First, the bad news. For some reason they only sell this soup by the bowl ($7). The "bowl" is actually more of a casserole dish. I know you won't beleive me, and my photo didn't work out, but this "bowl" is at least a half gallon of soup. It is the perfect size for sharing with a family, but more than a meal in itself for one person.

Now, the good news. The broth has such depth of flavor that I would eat it without any embellishment. But, this soup is way beyond broth. It is loaded with shrimp, chunks of white meat chicken, sliced button mushrooms, and fresh spinch leaves. The "bowl" contains about a dozen plump wontons as well. I realize that the recipe is far from authentic, but it earns the spot as the best wonton soup I have ever tasted.

I also ordered an appetizer of fried green beans($5) for a little crunch on the side. These were sparingly battered and fried and served with a spicy remoulade-like sauce. While they were tasty, they certainly did not deserve the "as addictive as potato chips" citation on the menu. They were a bit greasy for my taste and I would not order them again. Still, I somehow managed to polish off half the generous plateful. Next time, I will get the fried wontons. They aren't on the menu, but they are freshly prepared and provided with a yummy sweet dipping sauce.

I left full, happy, and with enough soup for tomorrow's lunch. If there is a P.F. Chang's in your vicinity, go, go, go!

P.F. Chang's China Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments: